Serve these appropriately seasoned 'pickles' at your next autumn or winter holiday get-together.
1 fresh pumpkin, peeled and diced (about 4 pounds prepared)
5 cups granulated sugar
5 cups distilled white vinegar
4 (2-inch) cinnamon sticks
15 whole cloves
- Place the peeled and diced pumpkin in a large bowl.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, cinnamon sticks and cloves. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Immediately pour hot pickling syrup over the pumpkin in bowl.
- Cover and set aside for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- Strain the syrup into a large saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks and cloves. (If desired, leave some to decorate the pickles.)
- Place the pumpkin back into the syrup and return to boiling. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until pumpkin is transparent but crisp. Allow the mixture to cool at room temperature.
- Transfer pumpkin to sterile jars and ladle in enough syrup to cover the pickles. Store in the refrigerator.
Makes 32 servings.
Note: For milder flavor, add 1 cup water to the pickling syrup.