Aromatic Mackerel with Chickpeas
Recipe courtesy of Seafish, the UK Sea Fish Industry Authority.
1 pound mackerel fillets cut in two, crosswise
2 teaspoons curry powder or paste
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
3 1/2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
2-inch piece fresh root ginger, finely chopped
1 (15-ounce) can chick-peas, drained and rinsed
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or coriander (cilantro) for garnish
Optional Accompaniments: Cooked basmati rice, a selection of chutneys, relishes, mint yogurt, naan bread
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Lay the fish into a shallow dish.
- For Marinade: Mix together the marinade ingredients and pour over the fillets. Cover and chill for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Spoon the chickpeas into a lightly greased oven-proof dish and lay the fillets on top. Spoon over any remaining marinade mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Garnish and serve with basmati rice and a selection of chutneys, relishes, mint yogurt and naan bread, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 428; Total Fat: 27g; Total Carbs: 18g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 29g.
"From sea to plate, Seafish delivers expert knowledge, skills and support which help the UK seafood industry secure a sustainable and profitable future."
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Seafish, the UK Sea Fish Industry Authority www.seafish.org.