Honey Sesame Shrimp
Asian-style breaded and deep-fried shrimp, quickly stir-fried in honeyed sesame oil to glaze and then sprinkled with sesame seeds.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 large egg lightly beaten
2/3 cup water
1 pound medium shrimp shelled and deveined
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Vegetable oil for deep frying
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Combine flour and salt and pepper in a bowl. Make a well in the center and add the egg and water. Stir to a smooth batter and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat about 1 1/2 to 2-inches of oil in a wok or large, deep saucepan until medium-hot, about 375°F (190°C).
- Roll cleaned shrimp in cornstarch, then dip in the batter, coating well and allowing excess batter to drip off. Add shrimp, a few at a time, to the hot oil. Cook until golden, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels; keep warm. Repeat process until all shrimp have been fried.
- Carefully remove hot oil from wok or saucepan. (Save for another use, or discard.)
- Gently heat the sesame oil in the wok or saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the honey and mix well. Add shrimp to the mixture and toss to coat well. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.