Shrimp & Chicken Spring Rolls with Horseradish Mustard
Make this favorite Thai dish at home—spring rolls with a pungent mustard dipping sauce.
3 teaspoons vegetable oil
3/4 pound raw shrimp, peeled, deveined
1/4 pound fresh boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 ounce bean thread noodles
5 dried shiitake mushrooms
1/4 cup dried wood ear mushrooms
1/2 cup daikon sprouts
4 green onions, trimmed, cut into 1-inch segments
2 cloves garlic, roasted
2 teaspoons minced cilantro
1 carrot, grated
1 large egg
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons sriracha (Thai hot sauce)
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 (15-count) packages spring roll skins
1 quart peanut oil
2 lemons, juiced
1 cup horseradish mustard
- In a skillet heat 2 teaspoons of oil over medium-high heat; add shrimp and sauté, turning frequently to cook each side. Remove shrimp from skillet to a covered dish and set aside.
- Return skillet to burner, add 1 teaspoon oil and cook chicken breasts thoroughly; remove from skillet, dice and reserve.
- In separate bowls, soak noodles and mushrooms in hot water until soft. After softening, drain each bowl; reserve mushrooms and noodles.
- In food processor roughly chop shrimp and chicken. Remove from processor and set aside.
- In food processor roughly chop sprouts, onions, garlic and cilantro.
- Squeeze mushrooms of excess water; roughly chop. Cut drained noodles into 1-inch segments.
- In a large bowl combine noodles, mushrooms, shrimp/chicken mixture, sprouts, onions, garlic, cilantro and carrots. Set bowl aside.
- In small bowl whisk egg. Add egg and fish sauce to mixture in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add sriracha; mix well.
- Arrange about 6 spring roll wrappers at a time on a cookie sheet. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of mixture onto each wrapper. Roll into a cigar shape, sealing edges with water. Prepare another 6 and heat peanut oil in a large sauté pan or electric skillet to about 370°F (190°C).
- Fry about 4 at a time, turning to brown evenly for about 5 minutes per batch. Remove and drain on a paper towel. While spring rolls are frying combine lemon juice and horseradish mustard in a small bowl; serve beside hot Spring rolls in a small bowl.
Makes 30 spring rolls.