Crispy, deep-fried little bites of quick bread with bits of apples in every bite and a cinnamon-sugar coating. My childrens's grandma Flo shared this recipe with me many years ago.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
2/3 cup 2% milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tart green apples, peeled and shredded
Vegetable oil for frying
- For Cinnamon-Sugar: Combine ingredients in a paper or plastic bag (or small bowl) and mix well; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine the eggs, milk and oil; mixing well. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Fold in shredded apples.
- Heat oil to medium-high heat (375°F | 190°C).
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls into hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels then toss in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Serve immediately.
Makes about 20 fritters.
Tip: These are best served warm.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/20 of recipe): 110.3 calories; 29% calories from fat; 3.6g total fat; 21.8mg cholesterol; 177.8mg sodium; 44.6mg potassium; 17.5g carbohydrates; 0.6g fiber; 7.4g sugar; 16.9g net carbs; 2.2g protein.