Artichokes with Lemon-Garlic Butter
Simple elegance. Steamed whole artichokes served with a delicious dipping sauce of lemon and garlic infused-butter. Serve as a first course—or as an entrée for a light meal.
4 medium fresh artichokes
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
6 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup butter
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place steamer rack in large pot. Fill pot with enough water to come just to bottom of rack.
- Cut stems and top 1 1/2-inches from artichokes. Cut away first outside row of artichoke leaves. Using scissors, cut off pointed tips of leaves.
- Arrange artichokes on rack. Bring water to boil over high heat. Cover pot; steam artichokes until knife pierces base easily, adding more water if necessary, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook a few seconds (don't let it burn or it will taste bitter). Add lemon juice and butter; stirring until butter melts. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve artichokes warm with seasoned butter.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 393.5 calories; 82% calories from fat; 36.7g total fat; 61.0mg cholesterol; 285.1mg sodium; 517.5mg potassium; 16.3g carbohydrates; 7.1g fiber; 0.4g sugar; 9.2g net carbs; 4.8g protein.