Baked Tomatoes with Olives
Recipe courtesy of California Ripe Olives.
1 1/4 cups warm cooked spelt or farro
3/4 cup sliced California Ripe Olives
1/3 cup grated asiago cheese
1/4 cup shredded basil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons plain bread crumbs
4 (8-ounce) firm, ripe tomatoes
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine spelt, 1/2 cup California Ripe Olives, 2 tablespoons asiago cheese, basil, vinegar and salt. Season with pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine bread crumbs with remaining California Ripe Olives and asiago cheese. Set aside.
- Prepare tomatoes for stuffing by cutting 1/4-inch off of the tops of each. Using a small spoon or melonballer, scoop out seeds and center flesh to make each into a hollow cup (leaving at least 1/4-inch of flesh around sides and bottom). Fill each tomato with 1/2 cup (approximately 3 ounces) of spelt mixture.
- Top with bread crumb mixture and place in a high-sided baking pan.
- Broil under medium-high heat for 45 to 90 seconds until golden brown.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 132; Total Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 8mg; Total Carbs: 17g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 5g; Sodium: 503mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Ripe Olives.