Got leftover rice? Turn it into a tasty side dish! Fried rice can also be served as a main dish by adding cooked ham, chicken, pork or beef.
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon fish sauce
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons vegetable oil - divided use
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 cup frozen sweet green peas
3 cups cooked rice, chilled
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- In a small bowl combine the soy sauce and fish sauce; set aside.
- In another small bowl, beat eggs with the sesame oil, salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Pour in beaten eggs; cook until firm enough to turn over and continue cooking until done. Remove from skillet; cut into small squares and set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in skillet or wok over medium-high heat; add onion, celery and garlic; stir-fry until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in peas and cooked rice, stirring to mix well; continue stirfrying just until heated.
- Stir in the reserved cooked egg, soy sauce mixture and cilantro, stirring to mix well and thoroughly heated.
Tip: Sliced mushrooms, chopped bell pepper and chopped cabbage work well in this dish, also.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.