Stuffed Peppers with Rice, Apples and Bacon
These peppers are easy to prepare and make a great side dish to accompany any meal. Try using a variety of colored peppers to add some color to a winter weekday meal.
6 medium sized bell peppers
1 1/2 cups instant rice
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 large celery stalks, diced
1 small zucchini, diced
1 cup button mushrooms, diced
2 cups apples, peeled, seeded and diced
6 strips cooked bacon, roughly chopped
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Wash peppers. Remove the top of the pepper and clean out the inside. Place peppers on a baking tray, set aside.
- Prepare instant rice following the instructions on the back of the box. Add chicken bouillon powder and dried thyme to the rice water.
- In a large saucepan, place 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Sauté onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and celery. Sauté until soft. Add zucchini, mushrooms, apples and chopped bacon. Sauté for five minutes Remove saucepan from heat. Add rice and combine ingredients well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Once rice mixture has cooled slightly, stuff each pepper with filling. Place in a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Top each pepper with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
- Place pan in oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until peppers are soft.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 325; Total Fat: 14g; Total Carbs: 43g; Protein: 11g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of B.C. Tree Fruits Limited.