Tomato cups filled with a deliciously creamy spinach custard, bits of crumbled bacon and Parmesan cheese.
6 medium tomatoes
6 slices bacon
2 packages chopped spinach
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 large eggs, beaten
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup cream
Salt, pepper and sugar to taste
- Cut off and discard top half of tomatoes (or slice and save for later). Scoop out and discard the seeds and pulp. Sprinkle the inside lightly with salt, pepper and sugar. Invert on paper towels to drain for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- In a skillet, sauté bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Pour off all but 1/4 cup of fat. Sauté spinach and garlic 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in eggs, cheese, cream, 2/3 of bacon pieces and salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the inside of each tomato with two tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Fill shells with spinach mixture; top with more cheese. Arrange tomatoes in a lightly greased baking dish and bake 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining bacon and serve.
Makes 6 servings.