Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Tired of plain old run-of-the-mill baked potatoes? Liven up a dinner with these twice baked sweet potatoes. They can even be made up ahead of time to serve with a holiday meal.
8 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed
1 cup diced celery
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 pound bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Pierce potatoes with a fork; place on baking sheet and bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven for one hour or until soft; remove and set aside to cool slightly.
- In small skillet, sauté celery in one tablespoon butter until tender, about 10 minutes; set aside.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut off a 1/2-inch-thick piece from one long side of each; scoop flesh out into bowl, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell.
- Mash potato flesh with remaining three tablespoons butter, stir in celery, bacon, salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into potato skin; arrange in baking dish and bake at 350°F (175°C) until heated through, about 15 minutes.
- Potatoes may be prepared a day ahead; cover and refrigerate. Reheat in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 45 minutes.
Makes 16 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.