Cheese Scalloped Carrots
Tender carrots enrobed in a ginger-seasoned creamy béchamel sauce with sharp cheddar and Parmesan cheeses and topped with buttery bread crumbs.
2 (16-ounce) packages fresh, sliced carrot chips
1/4 cup butter
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
2 cups milk
3/4 cup (3 ounces) Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1/4 cup (1 ounces) Wisconsin Parmesan Cheese, shredded
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC). In a saucepan, bring 2 quarts of water to a rapid boil. Add carrots and cook until barely tender, 10 to 12 minutes; drain.
- In a saucepan, melt Butter and sauté onions over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Whisk in flour, salt, ginger and pepper; stir while cooking 1 minute. Gradually stir in Milk; cook, stirring constantly until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar and Wisconsin Parmesan cheeses.
- In a large bowl, combine carrots and sauce. Pour into a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Combine bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over carrots.
- Bake uncovered 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.