Artichoke Spring Soup
Recipe courtesy of California Artichoke Advisory Board.
6 cups chicken broth
1 small sweet potato or carrot, very thinly sliced
1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 cup cooked chicken, cut into strips
1 cup shredded spinach leaves
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bend back outer petals of artichokes until they snap off easily near base. Edible portion of petal should remain on artichoke hearts. Continue to snap off and discard thick petals until central core of pale green petals is reached. Cut off top 2-inches of artichokes; discard. Cut off stems; reserve. Trim outer dark green layer from artichoke bottoms and stems; rub all surfaces with lemon juice to prevent discoloration. Quarter artichokes lengthwise. Remove center petals and fuzzy chokes; rub again with lemon juice. Cut artichokes and stems into very thin lengthwise slices.
- Bring chicken broth to boil in saucepan. Add artichokes, sweet potato and mushrooms; cook gently 10 minutes or until vegetables are barely tender.
- Add chicken, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place spinach in individual bowls. Ladle hot soup over spinach. Set aside.
- Beat together eggs, 1 tablespoon water and dash of salt.
- Pour egg mixture into heated, oiled skillet. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese. Cook until set, but moist. Remove and cool.
- Roll omelets loosely; cut into slices and place over soup.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Artichoke Advisory Board.