Chinese Cabbage Soup
Chinese cabbage soup with pork and fen szu (cellophane noodles).
1/2 ounce dried shrimp
1/2 ounce fen szu (cellophane noodles)
1 Napa cabbage, about 2 pounds, washed and sliced thin
1/2 pound pork loin or shoulder, sliced thinly across the grain
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger root, peeled and finely minced
3 cups boiling water
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sherry
- Rinse dried shrimp. Drain. Soak in hot water.
- Soak fen szu separately in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in saucepan until hot; add pork slices and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes, or until browned and no longer pink.
- Add dried shrimp with their soaking water, drained fen szu, soy sauce, ginger, 3 cups boiling water, salt. Bring to boil again. Add cabbage and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Just before serving add sherry and bring to a boil again. Serve hot.
Makes 4 servings.