Curried Pear Soup
A flavorful soup garnished with a dollop of yogurt topping is perfect to serve for a light lunch or as an elegant first course.
1/3 cup unsalted butter
6 cups diced peeled pears
2 cups onions, chopped
2 cups leeks, sliced (white and light green parts only)
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons curry powder
6 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 tablespoon liquid honey
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1/3 cup plain yogurt
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- For Curried Pear Soup: In a large saucepan melt butter and add pears, onions, leeks and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add flour and curry powder and sauté until the pears become soft, about 5 minutes.
- Next stir in chicken stock and dry white wine.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the soup is slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the soup, it will take about 2 to 3 minutes. You can use a blender by adding small batches at a time or a food processor.
- For the Yogurt Topping: Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat add sliced scallions and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add honey and sesame oil and cook for about a minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in plain yogurt.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the garnish.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of HolidayKitchen.tv. Photograph property of CooksRecipes.com.