Hot and Sour Scallop Soup
Classic Asian hot and sour soup with scallops, mushrooms, green onions and sliced bamboo shoots.
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup sliced bamboo shoots
1/2 pound sea scallops (halved) or bay scallops, rinsed
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons warm water
1 large egg, beaten
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Combine chicken broth, mushrooms and bamboo in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add scallops, soy sauce and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl until well combined. Add to pan and stir until thickened.
- Gradually pour egg into pan while stirring briskly with a long chopstick. Remove from heat.
- Stir in vinegar and sprinkle with onion. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Fisheries Institute.