Jaffa Chicken and Bean Stew
A Middle Eastern aromatic-spiced, citrus chicken stew with onions, garlic and beans.
2 cups thinly sliced onions
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
2 (15-ounce) cans red or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
1/4 cup orange juice
Grated rind of half an orange or lemon
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cook onions and garlic in oil in large skillet over low heat, covered, until very tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in spices and cook 1 minute longer. Increase heat to medium. Add chicken and cook until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until chicken is tender, about 5 minutes.
Makes 6 servings (about 1 cup each).
- Frozen onion and prepared chopped garlic can be substituted
- To save preparation time, chopped baby carrots may be used.
- Soup can be made 1 to 2 days in advance; refrigerate, covered.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories 287; Fat 7g; % Calories from Fat 21; Potassium 442mg; Carbohydrate 33g; Folate 213mcg; Sodium 1030mg; Calcium 61mg; Protein 26g; Dietary Fiber 9g; Cholesterol 46mg.
Recipe provided courtesy of The Bean Education & Awareness Network.