Salmon and White Bean Stew
A hearty and nutritious, Mediterranean-style white bean stew with canned salmon, onions, garlic, zucchini, carrot, tomato and fresh basil. This stew is especially good with smoked salmon.
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 teaspoon dry oregano leaves
1 zucchini, unpeeled and chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 (15-ounce) cans small white beans, drained, reserve liquid
1/2 cup dry sherry
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 (14.75-ounce) can salmon, or 2 (7.5-ounce) cans, drained and flaked
2 cups fresh basil, loosely packed, chopped
1 small tomato, diced
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Heat oil in a sauté pan; add the, onion, garlic and oregano and sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add the zucchini, carrot and Worcestershire sauce; stir and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the beans along with the bean liquid and enough water to equal a total of 4 cups of liquid. Add the sherry; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce to simmer and cook 5 minutes.
- Add the salmon, basil and diced tomato. Cook 3 to 4 minutes until salmon is heated through.
- To serve, ladle soup into serving bowls, and top with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
Makes 6 servings.