Smoked Chicken and Grilled Corn Chowder
A superb Southwestern-style chowder with Anaheim and jalapeño chiles, smoked chicken and grilled corn.
2 ears of corn, grilled and kernels cut from the cob
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup seeded and diced green Anaheim chiles
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup diced carrot
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2 to 3 jalapeños, seeded and diced
8 cups chicken broth
2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons minced thyme
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
8 ounces smoked chicken, diced
4 ounces tortilla chips
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup sliced green onion
- In a large kettle, heat olive oil and sauté diced green chile peppers, chopped red onion, chopped celery, diced carrots, red bell pepper, the grilled corn kernels (cut from cob), and diced jalapeño for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, cream, thyme, chopped garlic clove, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water and stir into the soup.
- Simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with the diced smoked chicken, tortilla chips, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, and sliced green onions.
Makes 4 servings.