Tomato Basil Soup
Consider making a double batch for the freezer or for popping into the microwave the next day for a perfect low-calorie light lunch.
1 pound fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup carrots, washed and chopped
1/2 cup leeks, washed and chopped (can substitute onions)
1/2 cup chopped shallots
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1 sprig fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup tomato paste
8 cups chicken broth
5 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Heat olive oil in a 4-quart saucepan.
- Add tomatoes, leeks, carrots, shallots and garlic; sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add fresh thyme, bay leaves, tomato paste and chicken broth
- Simmer on low heat for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove thyme and bay leaves.
- Purée mixture in blender or food processor.
- Reheat soup.
- Serve with freshly chopped basil in each bowl.
Makes 4 servings.