Tomato Soup with Walnuts and Vermicelli
A delightfully unique tomato and pasta soup, seasoned with ground walnuts, garlic and coriander seed, fresh parsley and cilantro.
4 tablespoons butter - divided use
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
1 cup walnuts
4 cups water
2 ounces vermicelli (angel hair) pasta, broken into pieces
1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a stockpot, heat 3 tablespoons of the butter and sauté onions until golden.
- With a mortar and pestle, pound together garlic, salt, pepper and coriander seed.
- Finely grind walnuts. Stir into onions along with garlic mixture, water and pasta. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- In a separate pan, cook tomatoes over low heat until softened. Stir them into the soup and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Add parsley, cilantro and the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and simmer a few minutes longer before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
Tip: If the tomatoes are not ripe enough for full flavor, either add 1 teaspoon tomato paste or substitute two 16-ounce cans tomatoes, drained.