This hearty turkey pie is a great use for leftover turkey.
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese - divided use
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 cups chopped cooked turkey
1 1/2 cups diced celery
1 cup mayonnaise
2/3 cup toasted almonds, chopped - divided use
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust*
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl mix together 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese and flour. Stir in chopped turkey, diced celery, mayonnaise, 1/3 cup chopped, toasted almonds, lemon juice, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out dough in rectangle shape to fit 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Transfer dough to dish being careful not to stretch pastry. Turn under the edges, and flute to seal to dish.
- Spoon turkey mixture into pastry crust. Sprinkle with remaining grated cheddar cheese and chopped toasted almonds.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until lightly browned and heat thoroughly.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use store bought ready-to-use, or homemade pastry using your favorite recipe, or ours: Basic Pie Crust 101.