Braised Turkey Legs
Braising is a good way to bring out the rich flavor of dark-meat turkey.
4 turkey drumsticks (about 5 pounds total)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
2 large onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 dry bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
1/2 teaspoon dry rosemary
- Rinse turkey and pat dry.
- In a shallow bowl, mix flour, salt, oregano and pepper.
- Dust turkey with flour mixture; set remaining flour mixture aside.
- Heat oil in a wide frying pan over medium heat. Add turkey, a few pieces at a time (do not crowd pan); cook, turning as needed, until browned on all sides. Transfer to a 4 to 6-quart baking pan.
- Add onions and garlic to frying pan; cook, stirring often, until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and wine, stirring to scrape browned bits free. Then add bay leaf, thyme and rosemary.
- Pour broth mixture over turkey, cover, and bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven until turkey is very tender when pierced, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Lift turkey from baking pan and arrange in a serving dish.
- Measure reserved flour mixture and blend with an equal amount of cold water; stir into pan juices. Cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens.
- Spoon some of the sauce over turkey; pour remainder in a small serving dish and offer to spoon over individual servings.
Makes 4 servings.