Grilled Whole Turkey with Molasses Barbecue Sauce
Grilled whole turkey served with a spicy molasses barbecue sauce seasoned with chile peppers.
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (29-ounce) can tomato purée
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon chipotle purée
1/4 teaspoon salt
Non-stick cooking spray
1 (12 to 14-pound) Butterball® Whole Turkey, thawed if frozen
- Cook and stir onion in oil in large saucepan on medium heat 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic and jalapeño pepper. Cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add ancho chile powder and red pepper. Cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato purée, water, ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, honey, mustard, vinegar, chipotle purée and salt; mix well. Bring to boil on medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer 25 to 30 minutes, or until sauce is reduced by half.
- Cool sauce. Remove 1 cup for using to brush onto turkey as it cooks. Cover and refrigerate remaining barbecue sauce to serve with the cooked turkey.
- Spray cold grates of outdoor grill with cooking spray. Prepare grill for medium indirect heat.
- Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey; discard or refrigerate for another use. Drain juices from turkey; pat turkey dry with paper towels. Turn wings back to hold down neck skin. Spray turkey with cooking spray.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on grill grate over drip pan. Cover grill with lid. Grill 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 hours, or until meat thermometer inserted deep in thigh reaches 180°F (82.2°C), brushing generously with the 1 cup barbecue sauce during the last 30 minutes of the grilling time.
- Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving. Serve with the reserved barbecue sauce.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Butterball, LLC.