Herb Roasted Turkey in a Bag
Roasting a turkey in an oven-roasting bag eliminates the need for basting and produces a golden, moist and tender turkey every time. Clean-up is a breeze, too!
1 (12 to 24-pound) Honeysuckle White® Frozen Whole Turkey, thawed
Reynolds Oven Bag, Turkey Size
Nonstick cooking oil
1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth (1 3/4 cups)
2 to 3 teaspoons dried basil leaves, crushed
1 to 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Shake flour in Reynolds Oven Bag; place in large roasting pan at least 2 inches deep. Spray inside of bag with nonstick cooking spray to reduce sticking, if desired.
- Mix chicken broth, basil, thyme and pepper; set aside. Remove neck and giblets from turkey. Rinse turkey; pat dry. Brush turkey with oil. Place turkey in bag. Pour broth mixture over turkey.
- Close oven bag with nylon tie; cut 1/2-inch slits in top. Insert meat thermometer through slit in bag into thickest part of inner thigh, not touching the bone. Tuck ends of bag in pan.
- Bake until meat thermometer reads 180°F, 2 to 2 1/2 hours for a 12 to 16 pound turkey; 2 1/2 to 3 hours for a 16 to 20 pound turkey; and 3 to 3 1/2 hours for a 20 to 24 pound turkey. Add 1/2 hour for stuffed turkey. Let stand in oven bag for 15 minutes. If turkey sticks to bag, gently loosen bag from turkey.
Makes 15 to 32 servings depending on size of turkey.
Tip: For an easy, flavorful gravy, pour 4 (10.5-ounce) cans Campbell's Turkey Gravy into saucepan. Add 3/4 cup drippings. Heat through, stirring occasionally.
Recipe provided courtesy of Honeysuckle White, a division of Cargill, Incorporated. Used with permission.