Lemon-Oregano Grilled Turkey
Fresh lemons, oregano and garlic lend a Greek note to this flavorful grilled turkey.
1/3 cup olive oil
4 medium lemons - divided use
1 tablespoon chopped red onion
1 bunch fresh oregano leaves - divided use
8 cloves garlic - divided use
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
Non-stick cooking spray
1 (12 to 14-pound) Butterball® Fresh or Frozen Whole Turkey
- Combine oil, the juice of 2 of the lemons, onions, 1 tablespoon chopped oregano, 2 cloves of the garlic and pepper in blender or food processor container; cover. Blend until smooth. Pour into small bowl; set aside.
- Spray cold grate of outdoor grill with cooking spray. Prepare grill for medium indirect heat.
- Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey; discard or refrigerate for another use. Drain juices from turkey; pat turkey dry with paper towels. Turn wings back to hold neck skin against back of turkey. Untuck legs. Loosen skin over breast and legs of turkey by gently sliding 1 hand under skin.
- Cut 1 of the remaining lemons and 2 garlic cloves into thin slices. Arrange under turkey skin with half of the oregano bunch. Return legs to tucked position.
- Cut the remaining lemon into quarters; place in body cavity of turkey. Add remaining 4 cloves of garlic and the remaining half of the oregano bunch. Spoon or brush some of the lemon juice mixture evenly over turkey.
- Place turkey, breast up, on grill grate over drip pan. Cover grill with lid. Grill 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 hours, or until meat thermometer inserted deep in thigh reaches 180°F (82.2°C), basting with more lemon juice mixture after each hour.
- Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving.
Makes 12 to 14 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Butterball, LLC.