Microwaved Whole Turkey
Micro-cook a whole turkey? Yes, there are actually times when such a recipe does come in handy—like when a microwave oven is all you have to cook with.
Turkey Basting Agent:
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon Gravy Master or Kitchen Bouquet
1 (12 pound) defrosted turkey
1 large oven roasting bag (turkey size)
- For Turkey Basting Agent: Combine ingredients and microwave on HIGH (100%) for 45 seconds. Use this mixture to paint the turkey to be baked in a microwave oven.
- First, if desired, stuff the turkey with your favorite stuffing mix. Then paint the turkey with the prepared Turkey Basting Agent.
- Gently place the stuffed and painted bird in the flour-dusted roasting bag and place into a glass microwave roasting pan.
- Enter the weight of the turkey on your microwave computer. For example, a 12-pound, 8-ounce bird will cook in the microwave oven 115 to 121 minutes at 70% power. Standing time will be 57 to 60 minutes. Dividing the time into fourths, the bird will cook at 70% power for about 29 minutes on its breast side; turn the dish and cook another 29 minutes. Now carefully turn the bird upside down (there will be a lot of juices in the bag, so be extra careful), with the bird breast side up, cook another 29 minutes at 70% power. Turn the roasting pan around again to cook for the remaining 29 minutes at 70% power.
- Carefully remove bird from roasting bag, saving the juices for the gravy. Remove the stuffing at this point and place in a covered dish to keep warm. Cover the bird loosely with a tent of tin foil and leave alone for 1 hour to vlet the bird finish cooking. Carve and serve. Refrigerate any leftovers
- If your bird is smaller or larger than the example given and you do not have a meat microwave computer, adjust the times accordingly.
Makes 10 servings.