Middle Eastern Turkey Kabobs
Cubes of turkey breast, marinated in olive oil, lemon juice and red pepper flakes, are threaded onto skewers with dried plums, onion and crimini mushrooms, and served on a bed of brown and wild rice pilaf, drizzled with a cumin and cinnamon-scented yogurt sauce.
1 package (about 1 pound) Honeysuckle White® Turkey Breast Tenderloins
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
16 large pitted dried plums
1 onion, cut into 1-inch squares
8 small crimini mushroom caps (about 4 ounces)
8 metal skewers
1 package brown and wild rice pilaf, cooked according to package directions*
1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Cut turkey into 3/4-inch cubes.
- In large bowl, combine turkey, oil, lemon juice, pepper flakes and salt; turn to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate at least 20 minutes.
- Thread 4 pieces turkey, 2 dried plums, 2 pieces onion and 1 mushroom cap onto each skewer, alternating ingredients.
- Grill skewers over gas or charcoal grill, turning occasionally so turkey cooks evenly on all sides, about 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Whisk together yogurt, cumin and cinnamon.
- Mound pilaf on serving platter; arrange kabobs on top.
- Drizzle with yogurt.
Makes 4 servings.
*Or substitute with cooked long grain rice.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Honeysuckle White, a division of Cargill, Incorporated. Used with permission.