Penne alla Carbonara
Penne pasta tossed in a flavorful sauce of cream, eggs, spices, Parmesan cheese, cooked turkey and salami. Serve with sautéed spinach and a salad of field greens, toasted pine nuts and chopped tomatoes. A great recipe for using leftover holiday turkey, too.
12 ounces uncooked penne pasta
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 ounces hard salami, cut in thin strips
20 small fresh sage leaves, stems removed
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 1/2 cups diced cooked Butterball® Turkey
1/2 cup dry white wine
5 large egg yolks
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese - divided use
- Cook pasta according to package directions; rinse, drain, set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt butter with oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add salami. Cook until beginning to brown and crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add sage leaves and red pepper. Cook 1 minute. Stir in turkey and wine. Heat through. Keep warm over low heat.
- Whisk egg yolks and cream in a small bowl until well combined. Stir in half of the cheese.
- Stir pasta into turkey mixture in skillet. Pour in egg mixture. Cook and stir over low heat to cook eggs, making a thick satiny sauce.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Butterball, LLC.