Roasted Turkey with Old Fashioned Bread Dressing
Make a new holiday tradition with this wonderful whole roasted turkey stuffed with an herbed bread dressing studded with walnuts and dried cherries.
1 (12) pound whole turkey
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/4 cup unsalted butter
5 ounces onion, chopped
5 ounces celery, chopped
2 ounces walnuts, chopped
1 1/4 cup water
4 ounces sour cream
2 ounces dried cherries or cranberries
6 ounces dressing mix with herbs
- For Turkey: Remove giblets and neck from turkey. Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well. Blot dry with paper towels.
- Remove backbone and legs from turkey.
- Sprinkle turkey with salt, pepper and garlic. Roast legs along with the breast in a shallow pan, on a rack in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for about 20 minutes per pound or until the internal temperature reaches 170°F (80°C) in the breast and 180°F (85°C) in the legs.
- For Dressing: In a sauté pan, melt butter; add onion, celery and walnuts. Sauté until crispy tender.
- Add water, sour cream, cherries and seasoning packet from dressing (if appropriate). Bring to a boil.
- Stir in bread crumbs and mix until liquid is absorbed.
- Place in a prepared baking dish and bake in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F (75°C).
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Turkey Federation.