Slow Cooked Turkey and Tomatoes
Slow-cooked turkey thighs, with mushrooms, onion, zucchini and yellow summer squash, in an Italian-seasoned tomato sauce.
1 package Honeysuckle White® Thighs, skinned and boned
1 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes in juice, undrained, or 4 to 5 ripe medium tomatoes, peeled and diced
1 to 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or 1 teaspoon each fresh oregano and basil, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
6 to 8 mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
1 small yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
1 small white onion, peeled and quartered
- Cut each turkey thigh into three pieces.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Cook turkey until no longer pink, about 2 to 3 minutes per side for each piece.
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Spoon over turkey. Reduce heat; simmer partially covered for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash and onion. Continue simmering partially covered for 7 to 10 minute or until vegetables are tender-crisp and turkey is fork-tender.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Honeysuckle White, a division of Cargill, Incorporated. Used with permission.