South American Style Turkey Thighs
Recipe courtesy of the National Turkey Federation. A microwave recipe.
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 (14.5-ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes drained, juice reserved
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 pounds turkey thighs, skin removed
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained, rinsed and warmed for accompaniment
3 cups cooked brown or white long-grain rice for accompaniment
- Coarsely chop tomatoes.
- In regular size oven cooking bag coated with flour, add tomatoes, onion, garlic, cumin and salt. Squeeze mixture to combine.
- Add turkey, turn bag and squeeze to coat. Using plastic twist tie close bag securely and place bag in 2-quart microwave-safe dish. Cut six 1/2-inch slits in top of bag. Cook in microwave at MEDIUM-HIGH (70% power) 25 to 30 minutes or until meat thermometer reaches 180°F (82.2°C) when inserted into thighs. Turn dish halfway through cooking time.
- Remove dish from microwave and allow to stand 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer turkey and tomato mixture to bowl. Using two forks, shred turkey meat from bone; reserve turkey meat and discard bones.
- To serve, place turkey in center of large platter. Alternate mounds of black beans and rice around turkey. Serve with glazed baked bananas and warm flour tortillas.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Turkey Federation.