Spiral Roasted Turkey Breast
For a festive entrée—with presentation—try this stuffed turkey breast filled with a mixture of chopped spinach, Feta cheese, garlic, cream cheese and basil.
2 pounds Honeysuckle White Boneless Breast Roast
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 ounces Feta cheese, crumbled
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
- For Spinach filling: Squeeze moisture out of thawed, chopped spinach. Mince garlic. Place spinach in a bowl. Add minced garlic and 1 tablespoon olive oil and mix.
- For Cheese filling: In another bowl, combine softened cream cheese and crumbled Feta cheese and mix together.
- Cut turkey breast roast in half horizontally, almost all the way through (about 1-inch from the edge), cutting from the larger cut side to the smaller edge of the rectangle. Do not cut all the way through. You are going to open the cut breast roast like a book, to make a flat, even rectangle. Open the cut turkey breast roast and place on a large piece of plastic wrap. Pound with a meat tenderizer. It takes quire a bit of serious pounding to flatten the split turkey breast roast to about 1/2-inch thickness, or as thin as you can get it (try to keep it in a rectangular shape for rolling). Pound along the cut line carefully to prevent splitting. Flip over and pound the other side as well.
- Cover the flattened roast with the cheese mixture, then spread the spinach layer on top of the cheese. Before rolling, you may want to oil your hands. Carefully begin rolling from one of the long sides, lengthwise. Start with the most uneven side, ending up with the nicest edge showing. Tie the rolled breast with string. You can ask your butcher for some or use non-colored thick white string. Tie the roll every 1 1/2 inches.
- Place the roll on a roasting pan. Mix the basil, salt and pepper, and olive oil. Brush the spiced oil on top of the roll. Turn the roll over and brush the bottom side.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 1 hour or until internal temperature of turkey roll is 170 when checked with a meat thermometer in the center of the roll. Baste occasionally while baking. Remove from roasting pan and cool for 15 minutes. Slice crosswise into 1/2-inch rounds. Place on serving plate and enjoy.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 258 Calories from fat: 114 Total fat: 13 gm Saturated fat: 5 gm Cholesterol: 95 mg Sodium: 345 mg Carbohydrate: 3 gm Protein: 32 gm.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Honeysuckle White, a division of Cargill, Incorporated. Used with permission.