Turkey Breast with Roasted Asparagus
Remember this recipe when spring's first tender shoots of asparagus begin to appear at farmers' markets and in produce aisles. You'll love the perfect flavor-pairing of tarragon and Dijon mustard, and the bright, vibrant colors of the asparagus, parsley, and red peppers.
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
3/4 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 (1 1/4 to 1 1/2-pound) boneless turkey breast halves (with skin on)
1 (7-ounce) jar roasted red sweet peppers, drained and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup snipped fresh parsley
1 1/2 pounds asparagus spears, trimmed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl combine softened butter, Dijon mustard, tarragon, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper; set aside.
- Remove skin from turkey; set skin aside. Lay one turkey breast half, boned side up, on work surface. Make 4 or 5 shallow cuts in thickest part of the breast (do not cut through). Place turkey breast between two pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, lightly pound turkey breast to a uniform 3/4-inch thickness. Remove plastic wrap. Repeat with the remaining turkey breast half. Dot turkey with half of the butter mixture; set the remaining mixture aside. Top turkey evenly with roasted peppers and parsley. Starting from a short side, roll up each turkey breast into a spiral. Wrap the reserved skin around each roll; tie with 100-percent cotton string. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Melt the remaining butter mixture; brush over surface of turkey. Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into center of one of the turkey rolls. Roast in a 325°F (160°C) oven for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours or until juices run clear and turkey is no longer pink (170°F / 80°C).
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl toss together asparagus, oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place asparagus in the roasting pan next to turkey the last 15 to 20 minutes of roasting.
- Cover turkey and asparagus with foil and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing. Serve the turkey with roasted asparagus.
Makes 10 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/10 of recipe): calories (1/10 of recipe): 212, total fat: 9g, saturated fat: 4g, cholesterol: 92mg, sodium: 220mg, carbohydrate: 2g, fiber: 1g, protein: 28g.
Recipe and photograph provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © 2003 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.