Turkey Stuffed Pasta Shells
A flavorful, Italian-inspired entrée. The whole family will love these cheese and turkey sausage-stuffed stuffed pasta shells.
12 to 16 uncooked dried jumbo pasta shells
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
1/2 pound ground mild Italian sausage
1/2 pound ground turkey
1/8 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
2 cups (8 ounces) mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce with mushrooms
- Cook shells according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in 10-inch skillet until sizzling; add onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat until tender (3 to 4 minutes). Add turkey and sausage. Continue cooking until meat is browned (8 to 12 minutes); drain. Add basil, oregano and 1 cup cheese.
- Spread 3/4 cup spaghetti sauce on bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch baking dish. Stuff cooked shells with meat mixture; place, meat-side down, in prepared pan. Pour remaining spaghetti sauce over shells; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Prepare as directed above. Reserve remaining 1 cup cheese. Cover pasta with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through. Remove aluminum foil; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Continue baking, uncovered, until cheese is melted (4 to 6 minutes).
Makes 6 servings.
Microwave Directions: Cover with waxed paper; microwave on MEDIUM HIGH (80% power) 5 minutes. Turn dish. Microwave on MEDIUM HIGH until heated through and cheese is melted (5 to 6 minutes). Let stand 2 to 3 minutes before serving.
Make Ahead Directions: Pasta shells can be filled and frozen separately. Prepare pasta shells as directed above. Place filled shells onto ungreased baking sheet; cover and freeze. When frozen, place shells into resealable plastic freezer bag; seal bag. Place bag in freezer. To bake shells, heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Continue assembling casserole with frozen shells, sauce and cheese as directed in oven directions. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until heated through.
Tip: Reduce oven temperature to 325°F (160°C) if using 13x9-inch glass baking dish. Baking time may need to be increased.