Whole Turkey with Chestnut Turkey Sausage Stuffing
The ultimate holiday entrée and side, a raspberry-glazed whole roasted turkey with chestnut and sausage stuffing.
1 (12-pound) whole turkey
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound turkey breakfast sausage
2 cups chopped onion
1 French baguette (10 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes
1 (15.5-ounce) can chestnuts, drained
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup turkey broth or reduced-sodium chicken bouillon
1/4 cup seedless raspberry preserves
2 tablespoons coffee liqueur
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
- To Prepare Turkey: Remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve for gravy. Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well. Blot dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper in the cavities of the bird.
- Fold neck skin and fasten to the back with skewers. Fold the wings under the back of the turkey. Return legs to tucked position
- Prepare Stuffing: In large non-stick skillet, over medium-high heat, sauté turkey sausage and onions 5 to 7 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink. Drain.
- In large bowl combine turkey sausage mixture, bread cubes, chestnuts, parsley, thyme, sage and pepper. Add turkey broth and stir to moisten.
- Lightly spoon stuffing into turkey or a (9 x 12-inch) baking pan, sprayed with vegetable cooking spray. Cover casserole and bake at 350°F (175°C) 45 minutes.
- To Roast Turkey: Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large shallow (no more than 2 1/2-inches deep) roasting pan.
- Insert an oven-safe thermometer into thickest part of the thigh, being careful it does not touch the bone.
- Roast turkey in a preheated 325°F (160°C) oven about 3 1/2 hours (total roasting time). Baste with the pan juices.
- During the last 30 minutes of roasting time, baste the bird with the Raspberry Glaze.
- Continue to roast until the thermometer registers 180°F (85°C) in the thigh, 170°F (80°C) in the breast and 165°C (75°C) in the stuffing.
- Remove turkey from the oven and allow the bird to rest for 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
- For Raspberry Glaze: In 2-cup microwave-safe glass measuring cup combine preserves, liqueur, vinegar, cornstarch, ginger and garlic. Cook in microwave oven at HIGH (100% power) 45 to 60 seconds or until thickened; stir. Use mixture as glaze, brushed over turkey during last 1/2 hour of roasting.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The National Turkey Federation.