Basil Veal and Pasta
Tender strips of veal mingle with slices of red bell peppers, onions and mushrooms in a sassy white wine pan sauce with just a pinch of red pepper flakes.
8 ounces dry egg noodles
1 pound veal cutlets
2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
1 teaspoon crushed dried basil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1/2 cup seeded, sliced red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped peeled onion
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/3 cup white wine
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Prepare noodles according to package directions; drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile pound veal between 2 sheets of waxed paper to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 1x3-inch strips; refrigerate.
- Combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, basil, salt and red pepper flakes in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Stir-fry pepper slices and onion for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and basil mixture; stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until vegetables are just crisp-tender. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- Return skillet to heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and veal strips, seasoned to taste with salt and pepper; stir-fry over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until just cooked; remove veal from skillet and reserve.
- Combine wine and cornstarch in a small bowl; stir to blend. Add mixture to skillet; cook over high heat for 30 seconds or until thickened.
- Return veal and vegetables to skillet; heat thoroughly. Serve over noodles.
Makes 4 servings.