Lemon Veal Piccata
Seasoned and floured veal scallops are sautéed until golden and served with a buttery lemon and caper pan sauce.
1 pound veal scallops, pounded thin
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 cup dry white wine or sherry
1/2 cup chicken broth
3 tablespoons capers
1 small lemon, peeled, white removed and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
Additional parsley and lemon slices for garnish (optional)
- Season cutlets with salt and pepper; dredge in flour.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and lightly brown both sides of cutlets, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add the garlic to skillet and sauté for a few seconds. Add wine or sherry and bring to boil. Reduce liquid to 1/3-cup.
- Stir in capers and lemon slices. Return to a boil.
- Remove from heat and swirl in the butter and parsley.
- Dip the veal slices into the sauce, place on a serving platter and top with remaining sauce. Garnish with additional parsley and lemon slices, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.