Stuffed Veal Cutlets
Breaded and deep-fried veal rolls stuffed with slices of ham and Swiss cheese and a mixture of Dijon mustard, Parmesan and cream cheese.
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 teaspoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
2 large eggs
8 thin slices fully cooked ham
8 veal cutlets, pounded to 1/4-inch thickness
8 thin slices Swiss cheese, each about 4-inches square, halved
Vegetable oil for frying
- Combine cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, mustard, parsley flakes and garlic powder in small mixing bowl. Mix well. Set aside.
- Mix flour, salt and pepper in shallow dish. Set aside.
- Place bread crumbs on sheet of waxed paper. Set aside.
- Beat eggs slightly in another shallow dish. Set aside.
- Place ham slice on top of each cutlet. Trim ham to with 1/2-inch of cutlet edge. Spread each ham slice with 1/8th cream cheese mixture (scant tablespoon). Top each with 2 pieces of Swiss cheese.
- Brush top edges of cutlets with egg. Fold in half. Press and pound edges of cutlets together with meat mallet to seal.
- Carefully coat both sides with flour mixture. Dip stuffed cutlets in egg, and then in bread crumbs, pressing to coat thoroughly. Place on waxed paper-lined baking tray, cover, and refrigerate about 1 hour to set coating.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350°F (175°C). Fry 1 stuffed cutlet at a time, about 2 1/2 minutes, or until deep golden brown, turning over once. Drain on paper towels.
Makes 8 servings.