Tender cubes of veal in a spicy, herbed white wine and orange sauce with mushrooms, served over hot cooked rice or noodles.
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds veal for stew, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 pound small mushrooms
2 medium onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 teaspoon chicken base or bouillon granules
Hot cooked rice or noodles
- In large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil; brown meat in 2 batches. Remove; set aside.
- In same pan cook mushrooms, onions and garlic for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Return meat to pan; sprinkle with flour. Stir constantly; cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in wine, orange juice, tomato paste, basil, thyme, hot sauce and chicken base. Cover; simmer 1 hour or until meat is tender; stirring occasionally.
- Serve over hot cooked rice or noodles.
Makes 6 servings.