Veal Birds Paprika
Stuffed veal rolls served over pasta and topped with a simple sour cream and tomato pan sauce.
9 tablespoons butter - divided use
1 1/2 cups chopped onion - divided use
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1 teaspoon crushed dried basil
3/4 teaspoon salt - divided use
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 pounds veal cutlets, butterflied for stuffing
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoons paprika
1 cup sour cream
8 ounces pasta
- In a large heavy skillet, melt 6 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Cook 1/2 cup of the onion and mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until onion is golden. Stir in bread crumbs, basil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper; set aside to cool.
- Divide onion filling among cutlets. Fold in long sides of each cutlet; roll and tie at each end.
- In the same skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Brown cutlets on all sides and remove from pan.
- In the skillet, cook remaining 1 cup onion in 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat, stirring, until golden.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomato sauce and paprika. Add cutlets and simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until veal is tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to package directions; drain. Arrange pasta on a platter and top with veal.
- Whisk sour cream, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper into pan juices. Cook sauce until hot, stirring occasionally, but do not boil. Spoon over veal and noodles to serve.
Makes 8 servings.