Avocado and Tomatillo Dip
A delicious guacamole made with tomatillos, chopped red onion, garlic, fresh lime juice and cilantro.
3/4 pound fresh tomatillos
4 large garlic cloves
3 California avocados
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Remove husks and rinse tomatillos under warm water to remove stickiness.
- Heat a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat until hot and lightly brown tomatillos and garlic, careful not to burn. Cool to room temperature.
- In a food processor purée tomatillos and garlic until smooth. Halve and pit avocados and scoop into tomatillo mixture. Pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Stir in cilantro, lime juice, onion, salt and pepper.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Makes about 3 1/2 cups.
Recipe provided courtesy of the California Avocado Commission.