Bacon Mustard Crisps
Crispy, homemade crackers flavored with bacon and mustard.
8 slices smoked bacon
1/2 cup ice water
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon white pepper
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 6 pieces
- Place oven rack in middle position. Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Place on paper towels to drain and reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings. Finely chop bacon.
- In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, combine water, mustard and 2 tablespoons bacon drippings. Process until just blended.
- In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, combine flour, salt, baking powder and white pepper. Process to combine. Add cold butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add mustard mixture and pulse until just blended. Add bacon and pulse one or two times, just enough to blend in bacon.
- Place mixture on lightly floured work surface. With a floured rolling pin, roll dough to a 1/8-inch thickness. Dip 2-inch round cutter in flour and press into dough. Place rounds on 2 ungreased baking sheets. Gather scraps and roll out and continue to cut out as many rounds as possible.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to12 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to cooling racks. Serve with cheese and fruit.
Makes about 80 crackers.