Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp with Quick Béarnaise Sauce
Mayonnaise, shallots, fresh tarragon and wine vinegar are processed in a blender to create a 'quick béarnaise' sauce -- and after the flavors infuse for an hour or so, is served with grilled bacon-wrapped shrimp.
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon minced shallots
2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons tarragon or red wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
16 jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined, with the tail segment left on
8 strips smoked bacon, cut crosswise in half
16 wooden toothpicks, soaked in water for 20 minutes and drained
- For the béarnaise sauce: Combine the mayonnaise, shallots, tarragon, vinegar and pepper in a small bowl. Cover and let stand at room temperature to blend the flavors, at least 1 hour.
- Wrap a bacon strip around each shrimp, securing the bacon with a toothpick.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Brush grill rack lightly with oil.
- Grill, covered, turning once, until the bacon is crisp and the shrimp is firm, about 8 minute.
- Remove toothpicks and serve immediately with the sauce.
Makes 16 appetizers.