Bacon and Mushroom Bite-Size Quiche
Tender, cheesy and savory custards in flaky pastry shells make elegant finger food—and can be made ahead and reheated. Delicious for brunch or evening appetizers.
8 slices bacon
1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1/3 cup green onion, chopped
1 2/3 cups Swiss cheese, shredded
Pastry for double-crust pie, (homemade or purchased)
5 large eggs
1 2/3 cups sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- On a lightly floured board, roll out the pastry dough 1/16-inch thick. Using a 3-inch cutter, cut out 42 circles; re-roll scraps as needed. Fit circles into bottoms and slightly up sides of lightly greased 2 1/2-inch muffin pans.
- Meanwhile, fry bacon slices until crisp, drain; crumble or chop.
- Chop mushrooms, sauté in butter until limp and liquid evaporates.
- Combine bacon, mushrooms, green onion and cheese.
- Divide filling equally among muffin cups.
- In large bowl, beat together eggs, add sour cream and stir until smooth. Spoon about 1 tablespoon into each muffin cup.
- Bake until puffed and light brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool in pans 5 minutes; lift out.
- Serve warm or let cool on wire racks. If made ahead, wrap cooled quiches airtight, and refrigerate overnight. Reheat, uncovered, in a 350°F (175°C) oven for about 10 minutes.
Makes 3 1/2 dozen (42 appetizers).
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 appetizer): Calories: 95 calories; Protein: 3 grams; Fat: 7 grams; Sodium: 87 milligrams; Cholesterol: 35 milligrams; Saturated Fat: 3 grams; Carbohydrates: 4 grams; Fiber: 0 grams
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.