Baked Chinese Won Tons
A twist on an old favorite, these won tons are filled with seasoned ground beef and baked, rather than fried.
1/2 pound lean ground beef
6 water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1 green onion, finely chopped including green top
2 teaspoons dry sherry
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 (8-ounce) package won ton skins
1 large egg white, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
Vegetable cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Brown beef in skillet over medium heat until no longer pink. Spoon off drippings.
- Add water chestnuts, garlic, green onions and sherry.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and soy sauce. Add to skillet and cook 3 minutes. Cool.
- Place 1 teaspoon filling in center of each won ton.
- Fold in half diagonally and seal with egg white mixture.
- Spray cooking sheet with vegetable cooking spray. Arrange won tons on cooking sheet.
- Bake won tons 4 minutes, turn and bake 4 minutes on other side.
Makes 30 to 36 appetizers.
Tip: Leftover won ton skins may be frozen for later use.
Recipe provided courtesy of Texas Beef Council and Beef It's Whats For Dinner.