Beef Empanadas with Cranberries
These scrumptious, Mexican-style savory turnovers are stuffed with a mildly spicy ground beef filling and sweet-tart dried cranberries.
1/2 of a (6-inch) corn tortilla, coarsely chopped
1/4 pound ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 small garlic clove, minced
1/2 to 1 serrano chile, finely chopped, seeds and veins removed for less heat if desired
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup Ocean Spray® Craisins® Original Dried Cranberries
1/3 cup beef broth
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
3 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crusts
1 egg, beaten
- Pulse tortilla in food processor until finely ground or finely mince by hand (this will help thicken the beef mixture). Heat small skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add ground beef and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until brown; remove any excess drippings.
- Add onion and cook 2 minutes. Add garlic, serrano and cumin and cook 30 seconds. Add Craisins and beef broth and bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute at medium-low heat. Add tortilla, season with salt and pepper and cook until thickened, increasing heat if necessary. Stir in cilantro.
- Heat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or grease. Place 1 pie crust dough on surface and cut into10 rounds using 3-inch cookie cutter. Remove and discard dough scraps. Fill each round with 1 1/2 teaspoons filling. Fold dough over to form half moons, press cut edges together with fork to seal.
- Place on baking sheet and brush with egg. Repeat with remaining pie crust dough.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Makes 30 appetizers.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc.