Beef Gyros Appetizers
This good and easy Greek-style sandwich appetizer makes great party food.
1 pound lean ground beef
4 plum tomatoes, cut into thin slices
8 small pita pocket breads (4-inch diameter), cut in half, warmed
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/3 cup chopped cucumber
3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- In small bowl, combine Yogurt Sauce ingredients, mixing well. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In medium bowl, combine ground beef and seasoning ingredients, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Divide beef mixture into 16 equal portions; shape into patties 2-inches in diameter.
- Place patties on rack in broiler pan.
- Bake in oven 10 minutes or until no longer pink.
- To serve, place equal amounts of beef and tomato in each pita half; top with yogurt sauce.
Makes 16 appetizers.
Recipe courtesy of Texas Beef Council.