Blue Cheese and Crab Won Tons
Won ton wrappers are filled with cream cheese, crumbled blue cheese and lump crab meat and then fried crisp.
4 ounces Wisconsin Cream cheese, room temperature
4 ounces Wisconsin Blue cheese, crumbled
1 (4-ounce) can lump crab meat
3 cups vegetable oil
1 package won ton wrappers
1 jar duck or plum sauce for dipping
- In a medium bowl, combine Wisconsin Cream cheese and Wisconsin Blue cheese, mashing together with a fork.
- Drain crab meat and mix into cheeses.
- In a deep fryer or deep pan, heat vegetable oil to 350°F (175°C).
- While the oil is heating begin assembling won tons.
- Won Ton Assembly: Place a teaspoon of the cheese mixture in the center of a won ton wrapper. Brush the top two edges of the wrapper with water. Fold the bottom corner over the filling to the opposite corner. Press together to seal. Roll the filled center towards the top and seal. Then fold the other two corners of the wrapper over, sealing with a drop of water and pinching corners together. Assemble all the wrappers and set aside.
- Fry won tons in small batches of eight for about one minute or until they float and become lightly browned. Remove from oil and blot on a paper-lined, warm platter. Repeat until all won tons are fried.
- Transfer to a warm serving dish and serve immediately with duck or plum sauce for dipping.
Makes 50 appetizers.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.