Blueberry Fruit Leather
Making fruit leather is easy and makes a great anytime snack and a special treat to tuck into your child's lunch.
4 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup fresh strawberries
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon almond extract
- Place blueberries and strawberries in blender or food processor and process until smooth. Pour mixture through a strainer to remove skin and seeds. Stir in honey and almond extract.
- Place mixture in a large nonstick skillet. Cook over very low heat, stirring frequently, for 1 hour until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 150°F (65°C).
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Pour thickened mixture onto prepared baking sheet and spread to form and 8 x 12-inch rectangle.
- Bake with oven door slightly ajar* for 5 1/2 to 6 hours until the fruit sheet is dry enough not to stick to your fingers but moist enough to roll. Remove
- from oven and cool.
- Store fruit leather in an airtight container or rolled in plastic wrap.
Makes 6 (3 x 4-inch) squares.
*Placing an ovenproof potholder in the oven door to keep it ajar will help dry the fruit leather by allowing moisture to escape.